Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Open Mic: Simply Nothing

Everyday it's another day
And I wake up to find myself
Still to be my same self
and I know that there's a curse
that's probably worse
But this curse
is something a nurse
could never cure
My disease, is melancholiaphobia... That's right melancholiaphobia...
And you know what sux most about this disease?
Being slapped around like a pathetic fish
This after that and that after this
it's like trying to breathe above water
and unfortunately, the dryness is suffocating
Every time I go to school my head is screaming
because there's nothing is it with meaning
Nothing that could change me
Nothing that could ever even have ahope of moving me
Simply nothing
I bet I could jump in a fire and still feel cold
Swim in the Fountain of Youth and still feel old
But it doesn't matter, no not to them
They give me their useless facts
And I try to take them in
And so it goes cause that's how I've been told
And so it'll be because they've never seen
that I need something more
Something more than, Simply Nothing
But on the other hand
There is perhaps one that made a difference
And I know he cares because he's friggin' awesome
And I know he'll probably hate that line but he's the one who encouraged me to cross it
So here I have
And it's silly, cause he's so afraid of Becoming a Meyers or a Mangum,
When in truth he could only be a Nelson
Who shoes us stuff from this century with people and ideas that aren't dead yet
He showed us because that's what moved him
And he's trying to move us.
And Nelson, you may think that half of your class is asleep
and the other half is there for the easy A
But like me, there is one or two out there
that took your class to become a better writer
I don't know if that's happened for me yet
but I have become way more excited about writing
And that's about 90% of the job
So if someone were to ask me what Nelson could do to become a better teacher
I'd tell them... Simply Nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment